An Eye to the Future
Blind Citizens Australia (BCA) would like to invite you to take part in BCA’s ‘An Eye to the Future’, an employment project that supports employers to explore diversity and inclusion in the workplace and take on an intern who is blind or vision impaired.
Blind Citizens Australia (BCA) is the national representative organisation of people who are blind or vision impaired. Our mission is to inform, connect, and empower Australians who are blind, or vision impaired and the broader community.
BCA recently launched An Eye to the Future project, made possible by a grant from the Department of Social Services (DSS). This project aims to change perceptions about hiring someone who is blind or vision impaired and highlight the skills, knowledge and diversity they can bring to a workplace.
To do this, we are working with employers, to create paid internships for people who are blind or vision impaired.
An internship has clear benefits to employers and interns.
• A chance to develop organisational diversity and inclusion
• Engage an experienced worker who can bring skills and abilities to your workplace
• Explore different ways of working and challenge the norms
• Opportunity to create new contacts
• Gain new perspectives on organisational issues
• Help with projects or tasks that you’re struggling to complete
• Test drive the talent and gain brand advocates
• Increase productivity
• Foster leadership skills in other employees
• Opportunity to attend and present at BCA’s 2022 Employment Symposium
BCA will support both employers and candidates every step of the way; we will source suitable applicants for you and can assist in selecting the appropriate candidates.
We will help employers and interns through the recruitment process, provide guidance around accessibility and assistive technology options, and remain in contact throughout the duration of the internship.
All this at no additional charge, the only cost being the wages negotiated and paid directly to the intern.
If you have any questions about whether this is a good fit for your organisation or would just like to learn more about An Eye to the Future project, please contact me via the details below and I will organise a time discuss how your organisation can be a part of BCA’s An Eye to the Future project.