Transitioning from secondary school to tertiary education
Vision Australia provides expert services in preparing young people who are blind or have low vision for the next steps in their education.
We can support your child to have the information and skills to make choices about their future and the confidence to start to take a primary role in decision-making.
If they’re interested in finding a career, we can help arm your child with a toolkit of accessible technology, practical tips, programs, strategies, and supports.
LEAP Up: Transition to Tertiary. This innovative program is designed specifically for young people who are interested in entering tertiary education and is tailored to each participants needs and goals.
LEAP Up is a unique program, giving participants the opportunity for both individual and group sessions. To add to the learning experience, the group sessions are held using a simulated online tertiary environment.
It’s available to young people across Australia, as all sessions take place via Zoom. Participants will use an online learning system similar to those used in tertiary environments. All sessions are held after school and each group will be limited to 10 participants to ensure everyone gets a quality experience.
The course involves:
- 1 hour pre course meeting
- Three 45 minute sessions with allied heath specialists
- Three 90 minute weekly group sessions
- One hour post course meeting
LEAP Up welcomes young people who meet the following criteria into the program:
- Aged 14-18 and interested in tertiary education. Priority will be given to students currently in secondary school
- Blind or have low vision
- Commitment to take part in all program activities, including meetings and assignments
- Device and internet connection
Registrations close: 30 September 2022
Program starts: Week commencing 31 October 2022
Individual meetings: Will be booked between participant and Vision Australia service providers
- Tuesday, 15 November 2022: 7 – 8:30pm (AEDT)
- Tuesday, 22 November 2022: 7 – 8:30pm (AEDT)
- Tuesday, 29 November 2022: 7 – 8:30pm (AEDT)
Program ends: Week commencing 5 December 2022
More details about the program and the course structure available in the LEAP Up Information sheet (Word)