VCAL Review Consultation for Senior Secondary Reform extended to 6 October 2021
In 2019, the Victorian Government commissioned John Firth to conduct a review into vocational and applied learning pathways in senior secondary schooling (Firth Review). The Firth Review found that we need to do more to make vocational and applied learning in schools high quality, relevant to the needs of employers, and available to all students.
The Firth Review recommendations provide a roadmap to reform, building on the Victorian Government’s historic investment of $315.5 million in senior secondary schooling reforms since 2018.
The Victorian government is working to ensure senior secondary students receive a great education, learn about the world of work and develop strong life skills, so they can make informed choices about further study, careers and their futures. This will benefit our economy in Victoria as a whole, and most importantly, impact on the success and happiness of young people in our communities.
The Department of Education and Training, the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) and the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority are working closely with stakeholders to implement these changes, which will include:
- A single senior secondary certificate incorporating VCAL into VCE
- Access to a broader range of high-quality VET courses for all students
- Transforming careers education to give students personalised, professional advice linked to the latest employment data
- A new foundation pathways certificate to replace Foundation VCAL
- High quality and well supported school-based apprenticeships and traineeships for more students across Victorian schools and senior secondary education providers.
More information can be found on the VCAA website and the Department of Education and Training website.
How to participate
We invite students, parents, caregivers, schools, TAFEs, universities and other service providers, peak bodies, industry, employers and the wider community to provide feedback to the discussion papers.
Your input will help shape the reforms and ensure Victoria delivers the best vocational and applied learning pathway choices for senior secondary students.
We will be seeking input on a wide range of topics, including:
- The design and delivery of vocational specialisation within the VCE and the foundation pathways certificate
- Ensuring all Victorian students have access to high quality VET courses aligned with their strengths and interest and to industry growth areas
- What support schools need to more easily provide excellent vocational and applied learning experiences to their students
- Understanding the workforce implications of new certificate designs and delivery models
- A new model for school-based apprenticeships and traineeships.
Read the Discussion Papers and respond to the questions. You can also upload a submission.
If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com
We will gather all the feedback submitted that will help inform transition timelines, certificate and study design, the VET offering and delivery expectations.
Complete a survey
Have questions or want to learn more about a project, contact us below:
The following is the link to SPELD Victoria’s Response to Key Recommendations – Vocational and Applied Learning Pathways Review